"Back when I was young..."
I thought I would be older before I employed that phrase
but apparently the time has come
because
back when I was young, this was called the Del Mar Fair
and it was always hot
crowded
full of bright lights
and smoke clouds of fried foods
that I unsuccessfully begged my parents to try
(this year they debuted a deep fried slim fast bar - I wasn't even tempted!)
Lindzy and I usually had dance recitals there
so I have fond memories of wearing bright lipstick and sparkly costumes
while tippity-tapping or "jazz-handing" across a stage
and then we would ooh and ahh over the hobby and collections ribbon winners
and flip through local high school year books
today we arrived right as the fair opened and it was
cool, cloudy, dare I say sprinkly?
and quiet
and perfect
we saw turkeys race (hilarious!)
three rounds of small dog racing (if you blinked you missed it)
a horse demonstration
a magic show
and huge barns full of sheep and cattle (like Yorkshire - sniff)
we made our way to the pig racing with 10 minutes to spare before they were to start but there were no seats left
not even standing room
so we got some frozen yogurt instead
here's a taste of the day
No comments:
Post a Comment