Islay was the impetus for this whole trip
many of Aaron's co-workers have extolled the virtues of the
many distilleries found here
and Aaron kept saying "we need to go!"
so when I found a deal on a hotel on this fairly remote island
the deed was done
so here we are:
fresh off the ferry we headed to a distillery
right on the water's edge
(it sounds like "Cah - leela")
Isaac was asleep in the car so Benji got to go in with Daddy
why is Daddy so excited?!
a manly bonding moment of
filling their own bottle of a special
"distillery only" whisky
at Bruchladdich
(which sounds like "Brook-lahdy")
drumming on the luggage rack in our hotel room
see the deer?
while Daddy was on a whisky tour
the boys and I ventured to
Kildalton Cross
carved in the 8th century
and still magnificent
(considered the best 8th century Celtic cross
in the UK - how amazing that it is still
in this tiny church cemetery and not in a museum)
the Ardbeg Distillery café had clootie dumpling
(a traditional Scottish boiled dessert
I heard about in our favorite UK cooking show)
so of course I ordered it for lunch
a proper whisky tasting for Aaron
adding peat to the fire
(peat helps give the Islay whiskies their distinctive
"campfire smoke" flavor)
another distillery right on the water
Aaron walked the couple miles from his last distillery tour
to the hotel with some fellow whisky admirers -
what a way to enjoy this beautiful day!
AMAZING!!!!!
ReplyDelete